This four-day course delivered in partnership with the Passive House Academy, provides the knowledge and practical skills building contractors need to build to the exacting demands of the high performance Passive House Standard. This course focuses on building enclosure optimization, and provides a foundation in passive house principles, while stressing the importance of construction fundamentals and proper sequencing.
Participants will learn building techniques that minimize thermal bridging and maximize airtightness, while being exposed to a variety of high performance materials and components. An introduction to common passive house mechanical systems will be provided, including heat and energy recovery ventilation systems, heat pumps, and solar thermal systems. Participants will split their time between AEA’s interactive classroom and Passive House Tradesperson Training Lab, providing hands-on training with common passive house materials as they construct a passive house building assembly.
Key Learning Objectives:
By the end of this training, attendees will be able to:
• Define the Passive House Standard
• Correctly locate and install airtightness and insulation layers in a variety of construction types
• Correctly install windows while maintaining airtightness, and thermal bridge free construction
• Conduct blower door testing, and air leakage diagnostics
• Identify and accurately interpret data from the Passive House Planning Package (PHPP)
November 13th – 16th 2018 (9:30am – 5:00pm)
Exam Date: November 17th 2018 (9:00am – 1:00pm)